Tuesday, November 15, 2011

LIVING FOR TODAY: MY BODY IS MY CLOSEST FRIEND



http://www.sibylmagazine.com/ 
It's a new day!  In my own quiet way I intend to honor my precious body, for she has been, and continues to be, my best friend no matter the adversities I face.

When I am distracted by the mind's banter and worry, this body keeps on breathing, reminding me she has her own life force.  She loves to be massaged with coconut oil as part of our wake-up ritual.  She loves warm liquids, lovely music, a few minutes of dancing just for the fun of it.  She loves attention and praise and smiles.           

A grumpy face or depressing news on the radio are real turn-offs, for within her is a deep yearning for pleasure, movement, joy to be alive this new day!  She loves bright, vibrant colors, even more important on a gray and dreary day.  Outside the leaves have fallen, exposing tree limbs and branches, and a view of the mountainside hidden the past six months.  Winter is a darker, colder season where I live, and my sweet body needs reassurance I'll keep her warm and full of hearty soups and songs to bring cheer to the hearts of friends as well as myself.

When her blood sugar is low, she lets me know.  When I get too busy writing or doing tasks that ignore her needs, she has her ways of saying, "Give me attention.  I am feeling neglected!" Part of aging wisely is learning to read our body-signals before our bodies go into fight or flight. No outside person can be as present, as intimate, with our sacred body that houses our spirits. Our bodies need maintenance, regular tune-ups, exercising so they feel good, and rest when we are tired.  When we are young, we can abuse and override our body's signals, but this disengagement and lack of respect creates inner unrest and disease as we age.  If we want peace in our lives, it begins with honoring our bodies and taking their needs seriously.

Would you rudely interrupt your best friend when she/he confides in you?  Would you ignore warning signs like insomnia, an unreliable bladder, the onset of a cold when you have a busy schedule?  When we treat our body as our best friend, we begin to dialogue with her:  “What’s up?  What can I do to help you feel better for the next twenty minutes?”  It is true, the past is history, and we may need to learn from past mistakes so we can better befriend this body once taken for granted.  The more compassion and kindness we show toward our body in our daily choices, the happier we shall be. Feeling grateful and loving makes for a deeper, lasting friendship with this partner we have for life!  
                           
Carol Browning 11/15/11

No comments:

Post a Comment